Staff Data Scientist, Innovation
The Staff Data Scientist – Innovation is responsible for the design and development of state-of-the-art algorithms and the integration of data sources to convert data from across the power grid into actionable information that enables the decision making of stakeholders and empower Heila’s innovative algorithms to perform adaptively to a rapidly evolving industry. Use cases will include Distributed Energy Resource (DER) modeling and “fingerprinting”, time series forecasting for complex microgrids, and analyzing data from microgrids, Virtual Power Plants (VPPs) and energy markets. As part of their role, they must be able to partner with Heila’s Engineering, Product and Projects Teams to deliver answers to complex technical questions, as well as the necessary analyses and feasibility reports to unlock projects. They will also be responsible for project delivery capabilities, data insight opportunities with external stakeholders, product roadmap, and feature development timelines.
- Research, design and develop state-of-the-art learning algorithms for methods for forecasting time series, estimating DER states and system events to keep Heila at the leading edge of technology using innovative methods and solutions.
- Representation and integration of user utility functions and industry objectives into algorithms.
- Help support the development of digital twins of evolving microgrids and DERs through analysis and integration of new and legacy data streams across the industry.
- Actively participate in strategic discussions for the algorithms and integration into the Heila product roadmap.
- Lead teams during experimental tests of algorithms in field deployments, including ownership of timelines, milestones, and deliverables for key algorithms in high-impact projects across the industry.
- Develop communication strategies to convey control concepts to customers, collaborators, and other industry players.
- Interact with customers to understand their needs and inform the product’s features roadmap.
- Support the writing of whitepapers, reports and presentations to industry stakeholders.
- Facilitate knowledge sharing by owning and maintaining comprehensive documentation on architecture and processes.
- Train and mentor junior teammates.
- MS/PhD degree in engineering or computer science.
- 3+ years working with large data sets and methods used to analyze power systems, DERs or a related field, including time series forecasting, state prediction, clustering methods.
- Knowledge of object oriented programming languages including Python, Java and C++.
- Knowledge of machine learning algorithms and state-of-the-art methods used in the industry.
- Ability to learn and own solutions for new concepts through research and development.
- High attention to detail with excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving abilities.
- Capacity to communicate domain knowledge and developed solutions with customers, partners and wider industry.
- If you are interested in this role, please visit Kohler’s Job Portal and apply directly.