Principal Engineer – Software
Posted 1 month ago
The Principal Engineer – Software is responsible for leading the design, development, testing, and deployment of software solutions to address customer needs in Heila’s target markets. As part of their role, they must be able to partner with Heila’s Product Team to deliver complex technical features to manage large, distributed energy resources (DER) projects. This role will begin as an individual contributor role with some mentoring and has the potential to grow into more formal lead responsibilities.
- Lead the design, development, testing, and deployment of software solutions to address customer needs in Heila’s target markets. These solutions might be for IoT/decentralized/constrained computing environments as well as a web service, standalone tool, or user-facing web application.
- Identify and address bottlenecks and bugs on existing applications, while devising long-term solutions to these problems.
- Facilitate and drive knowledge sharing by owning and maintaining comprehensive documentation.
- Play a leading role in product scoping and roadmap / architecture discussions.
Lead and mentor junior engineers.
- Push company innovation efforts and stay up to date on software industry trends and best practices.
- Work collaboratively with software engineers, power system engineers, and hardware engineers to define key milestones and manage project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables.
- Foster positive and effective business relationships at all levels.
- 12+ years working in Software Development in product development organization
- Extensive experience in delivering scalable solutions
- Experience in a technical lead role a plus
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field or equivalent experience
- Proven experience programming in Java and Python
- Strong experience building microservices and distributed and scalable enterprise class applications
- Understanding fundamental design principles behind scalable applications
- Fundamental knowledge of software engineer best practices, agile methodologies, CI/CD pipeline
- Experience with embedded Linux a plus
- Experience/understanding of energy market a plus
- Interest in learning about control and optimization systems used in DER projects
- Interest in learning about DER equipment and applications – including solar arrays, batteries, generators, fuel cells, among others
- Interest in learning about resilience and economic use cases in DER projects
If you are interested in this role, please visit Kohler’s Job Portal and apply directly.