Principal Engineer Applications
Posted 2 weeks ago
The Principal Engineer – Applications is responsible for providing customers with design recommendations based on customer or developer use cases, providing feasibility analysis to guide clients into the correct advanced energy choices based on Heila’s product road map and clients’ main objectives, and identifying gaps in client requests and Heila’s product offerings. This position closely supports the Sales Team to close a sale when technical and feasibility questions arise for a new project.
- Develop and maintain early stage microgrid system designs, site communication diagrams, and asset layouts and arrangements for new or existing projects. These include, but are not limited to, design optimization and feasibility analyses for internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead design scoping and recommendations based on customer or developer use cases, while providing feasibility analysis to guide clients into the correct advanced energy choices based on Heila’s product road map and clients’ main objectives, identifying gaps in client requests and offerings.
- Serve as technical liaison between Sales, Product, Engineering, Project Management, and other areas in the company.
- Ensure the Project Delivery Team is fully briefed on project design and functional requirements to facilitate project installation, commissioning, project closure, and inspection/reporting following commercial award.
- Document use cases and work with Product team to verify system operation feasibility.
- Utilize technical experience and knowledge of commercial and industrial facilities to document the unmet needs of customers, propose novel solutions, and define and influence internal product functional requirements for integration into the broader Heila product roadmap.
- Assist the Business Development and Project Delivery teams for sales related activities such as the review of as-built construction documentation, specification review & interpretation, energy market participation requirements, up-sells, etc.
- Foster positive and effective business relationships at all levels and project phases.
Train and mentor less experienced teammates.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s (preferred) degree in EE, ME or CE is required.
- A minimum of 8-10 years of schematic design, and engineering work experience focusing on complex DER projects, including the deployment of building management systems, SCADA, etc. in an industrial/engineering environment.
- Experience working in a consultative and client-facing role, interacting with product partners, vendors, and utilities to resolve issues with positive outcomes.
- Expertise on reading, and interpreting electrical and communications schematic drawings, one-line diagrams, project specification, utility/AHJ requirements, etc.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of control and optimization systems used in DER projects.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of one or more DER equipment types and their applications – including solar arrays, batteries, generators, fuel cells, and other customer-sited assets.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of resilience and economic use cases in DER projects.
Excellent knowledge and understanding of mechanical and electrical engineering concepts applied to commercial and industrial facilities.
- Ability to solve problems in unfamiliar environments in a self-directed manner.
- Familiarity with energy market products such as capacity markets, demand response, energy markets, and/or ancillary service products.
- Professional Engineering license is preferred, but not required for day-to-day work.
- Experience in conceptual power system analysis and microgrid design tools, examples include ETAP, PowerFactory, Xendee or equivalent.
- If you are interested in this role, please visit Kohler’s Job Portal and apply directly.