At Heila Technologies, we are working at breakneck speed to bring low-cost, low-carbon, and local energy to people around the globe. Our industry-leading technology is empowering communities to build self-sustaining microgrids through the power of autonomous, self-coordinating distributed energy resources.
As an Automation Engineer at Heila, you will play a crucial role in the integration, testing and support of Heila DER control products. Your contributions will expand the applications and environments in which Heila control systems are used.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve software solutions that address market needs. These solutions could be a microservice, standalone tool, user-facing web application, data pipeline, etc.
- Lead and help build services and applications for future market use cases as the industry develops.
- Contribute to the development of our automated test and build infrastructure.
- Work collaboratively with software engineers, power system engineers and hardware engineers to define key milestones and manage project priorities, deadlines and deliverables.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s (preferred) degree in EE, CE or equivalent.
- Comfortable working in a client-facing role, interacting with product partners, vendors, and utilities to resolve issues with positive outcomes.
- Knowledge of communication protocols such as: Modbus RTU, Modbus TCP, BACnet, or SCADA.
- Experience programming in Java, Python and C/C++ in UNIX environments.
- Familiarity with industrial network design and troubleshooting, experience with protocol client and server simulators.
- Ability to debug and solve problems in unfamiliar code bases and environments.
- Flexibility to travel and/or re-locate.
- Familiarity with commissioning and operations of generation equipment, storage assets, and controls/monitoring solutions.
- Demonstrated experience with the design, development, installation, and commissioning of power generation systems, such as diesel or natural gas generators, PV and wind turbine inverters, energy storage systems (battery, flywheels, etc.).
- PLC programming with IEC 61131-3 languages, RTU, SCADA software, and field experience with voltage regulators, synchronizers, inverters, grid paralleling, and load sharing configuration.
- Communication protocols and standards expertise (Modbus, DNP3, IEC 61850).